View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2005, 20:39
Administrator

Risk of thyroid cancer after exposure to 131I in childhood

OBJECTIVE: evaluate the risk of thyroid cancer after exposure to radioiodine (especially 131-I) in childhood. Children exposed to 131-I after the Chernobyl accident in April 1986 were studied. METHODS: Retrospective review of 276 patients with thyroid cancer, matched with 1300 matched control subjects. RESULTS: Risk of thyroid cancer increased with increased exposure to 131-I during childhood. People living in iodine deficient areas had higher rates of thyroid cancer. Those geting routine potassium iodide supplementation had a lower risk of thyroid cancer. CONCLUSION: 131-I exposure in childhood increases the subsequent development of thyroid cancer. Dietary supplementation with potassium iodide decreases this risk. PMID: 15900042

Risk of thyroid cancer after exposure to 131I in childhood.

Cardis E, Kesminiene A, Ivanov V, Malakhova I, Shibata Y, Khrouch V, Drozdovitch V, Maceika E, Zvonova I, Vlassov O, Bouville A, Goulko G, Hoshi M, Abrosimov A, Anoshko J, Astakhova L, Chekin S, Demidchik E, Galanti R, Ito M, Korobova E, Lushnikov E, Maksioutov M, Masyakin V, Nerovnia A, Parshin V, Parshkov E, Piliptsevich N, Pinchera A, Polyakov S, Shabeka N, Suonio E, Tenet V, Tsyb A, Yama****a S, Williams D.

International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France. cardis@iarc.fr

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...0042&query_hl=1

J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 May 18;97(10):724-32.