View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2005, 06:42
Administrator

Left ventricular dysfunction after thallium SPECT

Ischaemic related transitory left ventricular dysfunction in 201Tl gated SPECT. Del Val Gomez M, Gallardo FG, San Martin MA, Garcia A, Terol I. Department of Nuclear Medicine bDepartment of Cardiology, Hospital Carlos III, Madrid, Spain. Nucl Med Commun. 2005 Jul;26(7):601-5.

OBJECTIVE: evaluate the usefulness of comparing the usefulness of the post-stress left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) compared to the rest LVEF. METHODS: METHODS: Post-stress and at-rest thallium gated SPECT was utilized in 629 consecutive patients. Standard ventricular volume values were obtained: end systolic volume, end diastolic volume, and left ventricular ejection fraction. The authors defined transitory left ventricular dysfunction as an LVEF post-stress that was not at least 5% greater than the rest LVEF. RESULTS: The post-stress LVEF averaged 64% and the rest LVEF averaged 66%. The post-stress end diastolic volume (EDV) was 142 ml and at rest was 141 ml. The post-stress end systolic volume (ESV) was 54 ml and rest ESV was 56 ml. The perfusion study results were divided into 3 categories: normal patients (group I), patients with total or partially reversible defects (group II), and patients with fixed defects (group III). In group I and group III the rest LVEF was lower than the post-exercise LVEF. In group I the rest LVEF was 75% vs a post-stress LVEF of 81%. In group III the rest LVEF was 57% compared with a post-stress LVEF of 60%. Patients in group II, however, had a rest LVEF of 66% compared with a post-stress LVEF of 64%. The left ventriuclar volumes in group I and III patients decreased with exercise. The left ventricular volumes in group II patients had an increased post-stress ESV. CONCLUSION: The post-stress LVEF was found to be higher than the rest LVEF in patients with normal perfusion or fixed defect. The post-stress LVEF is less than 5% greater than the rest LVEF in patients with reversible defects. This difference in the LVEF is primarily due to a change in the ESV. PMID: 15942480.

ncupdate 2005