Community Forum top_calendar.gif top_members.gif top_faq.gif top_search.gif top_home.gif    

Go Back   Community Forum > The Internet Medical Journal > News
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old March 28th, 2003, 07:23
Administrator

SARS: Clinical Signs & Symptoms

This editorial from the BMJ goes over the clinical signs and symptoms of Sudden Acute Respiratory Syndrome- a new disease causing global alarm. The disease is thought to be a new type of influenza. It is highly infectious (a greater than 50% transmission rate from patients to healthcare workers), and has an incubation period of about a week. Early symptoms typically include fever, malaise, myalgia, headache, and dizziness. About 5 days later a nonproductive cough begins. CXR findings typically are small, focal unilateral diffuse infiltrates. CXR findings are subtle and often overlooked initially. Lymphocytopenia with an elevation in LFT's may occur. No treatments have been proven effective beyond ventilatory support. Steroids and intravenous ribavirin have been used, and may be of help (this is suspected but unknown). The case fatality rate is about 3%. Comment: this is a disease where quarantine may be the only cure. The high transmission rate (50% + ) and fatality rate ( 1 in 33 die ) require that we take an aggressive approach to this illness. The BMJ editorial is excellent. **** [ bmj.com Zambon and Nicholson 326 (7391): 669 ]

Last edited by sysadmin : March 28th, 2003 at 07:23.
Old April 1st, 2003, 01:32

honey may cure sars

I think the honey we eat might have a cure for SARS. If I could do something i would let the ppl with SARS try this and my belief is it ay cure them as well. Its worth a try if doctors try this. I know some ppl will think its a silly thing to post. But whats the harm in trying. I have not scientific evidence for it. Its just a belief.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 10:36
Administrator

Honey for SARS

I think that the general idea is good - that we need to build up the immune system. There's a couple of ways at least to win the fight against SARS:

1) attack the virus directly

2) boost the immune system

I've always been interested in high dose infusions of vitamins, although have never done this, nor seen it done. However, the research presented by Emanual Cheraskin, MD, DDS in his book Vitamin C - Who Needs It? is interesting.

There's a lot that we don't know. It's possible that the money associated with developing a new pharmaceutical has had the effect of decreasing interest in remedies (e.g. vitamins) that would not produce huge sales and profits.
Old April 7th, 2003, 07:22

I guess that there are many views about a possible cure for SARS at this time. In China, people are even resorting to traditional herbal medicine, which some claim have a degree of effectiveness against SARS.

In the website that I run on SARS, there was discussion about Vitamin B and traditional herbs as cures. In the office, even tea was mentioned.

However, it remains to be seen what is the actual cure. I hope they find it soon.

Cheers and best of luck to all!

SARS Discussion Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sars_2003/